After 7+ weeks of living in Southern India, a lot of "big talk" on my part, and in response to public humiliation by family members, I am finally doing the blog thing. It seems pretty simple so I really have no excuse . I hope to post pictures frequently and share a few stories about different interesting encounters, travels, adventures in cuisine, and other parts of everyday-ordinary-life in Chennai, India. Since my purpose for posting is to keep you (my friends and family) updated on what in the world I'm doing over here, please feel free to tell me what YOU want to see or hear about - I'll do my best.
Oh, and regarding the name of the blog...it was an easy choice really. After about 2 weeks in India I could barely keep track of how many times I encountered the phrase "All the best"...at the end of conversations, on billboards, on baked cakes, when someone bumped into me, and constantly on television. It's everywhere. But what I find really fascinating is that I'm yet to find anyone who has the same observation...locals and ex-pats both look at me blankly when I ask, "Isn't it crazy how much people love saying 'All the best' here?" After a recent fruitless attempt to convey my point to a friend, I glanced outside our car window and of course there's a giant sign advertising cell phones with a picture of a "cool guy" holding a phone and the only words printed in large text: "All the Best". I don't get it.
So instead of choosing to fight the colloquialism that has haunted me thus far, I'm making it my own.
All the Best.
-Peter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Peter! You do realize that nobody will be able to resist the "All the best" line whenever they see or speak to you from this point forward? Great to hear things seem to be going well for you, and great to see the blog up and running!
Hey Pete, good to hear from ya! I take it the job is going well? If you get a little extra free time at night or on weekends, you really should consider setting up a little stand, with your guitar, and do some singing and preaching for the people. Know you're always in my prayers. Fr. Kevin G. p.s. How's cricket going? My favorite player is Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Who's yours?
Peter! I was just talking about you...I have no idea why, but you came up in conversation and I was telling my Italian family all about what I know of your job in India and how you left NYC and what an amazing person you are yadda yadda yadda...can you tell me/us more though about your job, what you are doing, etc??...very cool images with the video upload...All the best! Becca
Hey there glad to see you have some free time... hope you are enjoying life and getting settled... your complete profile is very interesting...
Gender:male
Location:india...lol
Hope if you get that table set up with your guitar you post some video- i would love to see/hear it...love to see some posts about the cuisine and your yoga experiences... Keep up the posts- Be well, love Jeanie
I actually did buy a guitar here for pretty cheap but doubt I'll be playing out anytime soon. If I do, you can be assured it will be video taped and on the blog. (I've always said that if I played in public for $ or Rupees it would have to be w/o my leg on...to complete the motif. Sorry, I'm a horrible person) And I've learned the rules of cricket since my roommates watch it all the time (rule #1: Be boring and take forever)...but still don't have a favorite player since I'm not as huge a fan as Fr. Kevin.
Post a Comment